Saturday, December 14, 2013

Kapsowar Hospital

People keep asking my favorite part of the trip to Kenya, but each thing we did was so special. If I had to pick only one part of the trip to do again, it would be the time we spent at Nina's home on the mission station and work at the hospital. The mission hospital in Kapsowar was such a wonderful environment - staff who work together to serve the Lord and His people. It was such an encouraging place to be.

Each morning, the missionaries start their day praying together and debriefing on station. On Wednesdays, the entire hospital staff meets together for a chapel service. I wish I would have gotten video of the singing - I would love to hear that every Wednesday morning. Every surgery begins by praying with the patient. While this hospital might be lacking the technology available to us, there certainly is no shortage of compassion.

This mama is pregnant with twins. 

Christina rounding on a c-section patient

This baby boy is wearing some of Edison's baby clothes that we took over with us. 

I love this view of the women's surgical ward. 


This mama has a hurt foot (not sure the details). She was feeding her son when I intruded with my camera. 

A mama with her premature baby

Nina and me before the c-section

One of the many scenic views around the hospital

This is the baby that I watched be born via c-section

Before c-section

Happy birthday baby boy!

Premature babies in Kapsowar face great challenges without the technology that we have available to us here. This sweet, little girl breathed as long as she could but got tired and died. She was a twin and her sister preceded her in death. They were approx. 27 weeks. Perfectly formed and beautiful - they just needed a little more time in the womb. 

I watched this baby boy come into the world. Happy birthday baby. 

These two babies are not siblings but share an isolette while they fight for their lives. The baby on the right is the twin from the previous picture. 

No comments: