Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Uh-Nar-Uh

We just received an email from our adoption agency written by a missionary working at the babyhouse. She is the woman responsible for finding Anara for our family. I am not exactly sure of her job description or how she does the things she does, but we are very grateful to her. Here is some background. I had emailed the director of our agency a few weeks ago when I couldn't sleep. I emailed specific questions about Anara's development (does she smile, does she make eye contact, does she respond to stimulation, does she roll over). The answers to these questions wouldn't have changed our decision to adopt her, but I felt that I needed to prepare myself. Last night, I was awakened for the 2nd time by these unanswered questions. I kept praying and finally God gave me peace and confidence that He would give us strength whatever her condition might be, and I was able to fall back asleep.

Here is a portion of her email:

“About Amanda’s questions, Anara does make eye contact and smile. I would not call her happy. She seemed happier when she was first moved from the hospital. I think she probably had more attention there than she gets at the orphanage. She does respond to stimulation. She is very alert and seems to be very observant. I did not have a chance to ask if she rolls over or sits up, but I am sure she does. I will try to remember and ask these two questions the next time I see her. She is growing and seems above average in development and alertness for her age, compared to other babies her age in the orphanage. One worker tried to convince me she could talk, but I have not heard that for myself. The consensus seems to be that she is very smart. She has been on antibiotics in the past. We are trying to find out what kind. We have put her on vitamins and are supplementing her food with apple and apple/carrot baby food. I heard yesterday that Anara is sick at the moment. She had a cold, and then started to run a fever a couple of days ago. They have put her on antibiotics to clear it up. I will try to see her when I am at the orphanage tomorrow. Yes, the pronunciation of her name is Uh-nar-uh.”

This information was encouraging and we are thankful that God is using this missionary to meet Anara's needs. We are so very grateful for these efforts. However, it does bring up the fact that not all orphans are so well take care of. There are not enough workers, not enough money, and not enough emphasis placed on caring for orphans. As thankful as we are that Anara is being taken cared for, it is a reminder that many are not. This is the case for orphans globally.

*Please pray for God to move mightily among His people and prompt more families to pursue adoption.
*Pray that God would increase the resources available to missionaries and orphanages to better care for His kids.
*We praise God for this encouragement and for this missionary's heart and faithfulness.
*Pray that the orphanage workers would have a special love for the kids .
*Pray that missionaries would be encouraged and continue to remain faithful in their positions. *Pray that families will come forward to adopt children.
*Pray that the process of adoption as a whole would become more pure with true regard for the children.
*Pray that the courts would waive the 30-day waiting period so that we can bring Anara home soon.
*Pray also that she heals from her cold and remains healthy.
*The last prayer request is that our adoption agency would receive their accreditation renewal from Russia. They need this to continue facilitating adoptions through Russia. Right now there are families waiting to go pick up their children and children that know they have families waiting. It has been about 6 months and there is no word on reaccreditation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you and Nathan. You are both so strong.