Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"Not wookin Mama"


This is what Violet says when things are not going according to her plan or she is struggling with the task at hand.

Sleeping with both girls upstairs last night might have worked if Violet wouldn't have coughed and Anara wouldn't have pooped. Violet was coughing pretty hard from 11:30-1:00am. Finally at 1:00am, I brought Violet downstairs so that she wouldn't keep disturbing Anara (who was stirring after almost every cough) and sent Nate upstairs to sleep with Anara. At 2:00am Anara started whining, but it was short lived and we fell back asleep. Then at 5:00am, Anara whined a little more and didn't seem like she was going to give up. I went upstairs with a bottle and changed her diaper. She had a bowel movement and there was stool in her open wound.

Today we went to Riley for our weekly visit with the urologist. He and the ostomy nurse examined the wound and said that we were doing a great job caring for it. I was actually surprised because Anara has had diarrhea and it fills up with stool about 6 or 7 times a day. The wound team has been trying to figure out a way to pack and dress the wound to keep it from being exposed to urine and feces. Today we thought we found the answer. The nurse sprayed some adhesive around the wound and then put a new, fancier bandage on the packed wound. I was excited and thought maybe we finally had it figured out...........until we got home and Anara had succeeded in pushing the packing out and the band aid was flopping in the feces. Oh well, guess we will try for another answer next week, but in the meantime we would like to get rid of this diarrhea.

Violet - why is she always sick???? She eats well, she takes vitamins, she isn't exposed to huge groups of kids daily, and yet we cannot get her healthy. Last night she was coughing in the middle of the night and I gave her both inhalers. She had a nagging cough that almost started to sound croupy. Today she is sneezing and her nose is running. Allergies?!? What can she be allergic to? We use organic cleaning products, we have no pets, we have an air purifier, we pulled up our downstairs carpet, and she takes vitamins. What more can be done? I just keep thinking it's viral, but man that is a lot of viruses.

Ok, babies are down for a nap and we have house church tonight so I better get cleaning.

3 comments:

Carma said...

I would just like to say God Bless You for everything you are doing. I appreciate reading your blog and am curious what organization you went through to get your daughter. I know your sister from church and she told me a little bit about the process, but my husband and I would love to know more. I can be reached at princesscarmie@yahoo.com or www.amrac.blogspot.com

Joy said...

Re: Violet always being sick...I feel your pain because I remember being there. One year we saw the ped. every Mon. from Sept.-April. I was at my wits end, so frustrated, thinking "I'm a nurse. Why are my kids always sick? Am I not cleaning enough? Is there someting growing beneath my house?" One of the pediatricians in our practice took the time to notice my frustration and stroke my motherly ego. He reassured me that I was doing fine, and pointed out that kids catch alot of bugs usually until they reach school age. And most importantly to me, he told me how my kids were building all kinds of immunities, and would probably be really healthy as they grew older. He was right. They rarely catch colds or such. Now, I realize most of what he told me may have been a line of bull...but what I needed was a dose of confidence that I was doing a good job as a mom, and that I wouldn't miss recognizing a serious illness if it occurred. So the moral of the story is discuss your concerns with Violet's pediatrician. He may not have all the answers but he may have the one you need.

Carma said...

Amanda- In response to the comment you left on my blog (I don't have an email address): Yes. There is a small stand next to the newspaper office, right behind The Sprinkling Can florist. I think Martha actually passed away many years ago (when I was in 2nd grade) but has been kept up. The Randanelli family now operates it. I don't know if the official name is still Martha's, but that is what it will always be known as.