Monday, January 19, 2009

Hide and go poop is not a fun game

We are trying to get Anara out of diapers. Thus far we have been unsuccessful convincing her to tell us when she needs to go. We only have to bowel train her since she is catheterized but this is proving a difficult feat. If we spy her midway through a bowel movement we can run her to the toilet, but she will not tell us beforehand. We have grown wise to her ways and now we realize that when she goes upstairs by herself or hides somewhere it usually means that she is pooping. We are hoping that soon she will realize that she doesn't like the feeling of poop in her diaper and that it's much easier to just put it in the toilet. It doesn't seem that we have found a sweet enough reward to make it worth her while. Any suggestions?

Here are some recent pictures.

Playing Lincoln Logs this morning
"Boo" using his potty
Big Smile
Playing outside in our little bit of snow
Working hard
Anara is very gentle with Edison
Happy to be held



I am washing his neck not strangling him
He loves baths!

Big baby tiny stroller

4 comments:

Beth said...

That stroller pic is hillarious!! Good luck with the potty training. Jordan will be 3 in March and he is still being stubborn. I won't waste money on pull ups either if he isn't going to put forth an effort. I don't know if it would make a difference if I was home all day with him or not, but potty training sure is a task.

Christina said...

Man, he is so cute. The stroller pic is kind of lack fat guy in a little coat! I'm sad I didn't get to snuggle him tonight. I just want to squeeze him and kiss him.

Lydia said...

Potty training stinks, doesn't it?!

Someone once told me when I was frustrated with Annie's addiction to the bottle, "It's alright. She won't take a bottle to kindergarten." (I seriously doubted her!) Maybe that will encourage you too...She won't wear diapers to kindergarten.

Look on the bright side...at least if she has to go when you're in the middle of nursing, it's okay. :)

Gary and Melissa said...

I remember one (or maybe more) of my kids would hide behind the couch to poop. I thought it was belligerence on my kids part to my attempts at potty training them. But I am a little wiser with my grandchildren.(I think ) I have observed Owen going off by himself and it is not resistance to potty training because Laura and George haven't been pressing that yet. I really think he goes off by himself to concentrate on "doing his business" in private. He needs to be alone and without the distraction of others' presence. A quiet private place with no one looking at or talking to him. I don't blame him a bit. Nothing ruins the urge to poop like someone walking in on you when you're trying to go or even standing outside the door asking you questions. So just imagine someone tracking you down and hasseling you about it everytime you try to poop. Bowels can be so "tempermental" anyway. I'd be bound up tighter than a drum and boy, would I be one cranky girl! I'm sure Anara will get the idea of getting off by herself ON the potty in due time. Take the pressure off yourself. She'll figure it out. She's not just being stubborn. With all that her little body has been through in her short lifetime, it might take longer.