Monday, August 25, 2008

Just peachy

I realize that this is not a major accomplishment but I have probably only made 4 or 5 pies in my career. My most recent pie was a strawberry pie that tasted great but was a little runny. I made a pie last year only to watch the edges burn. The pie before that, shrunk and the crust didn't quite stretch to the edge. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty confident in my culinary prowess but pie baking has never been my forte. Today I baked a peach pie that actually turned out and tasted as good (in my opinion) as it looked. I did have nicely crimped edges but they seemed to have disappeared during the baking process. Maybe you get faster with practice because I can't imagine cranking 5 or 6 of these out for a holiday like my mother-in-law.

I have used good ole Betty Crocker crust in the past and it's good, but I used the crust from Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything and it was awesome (probably the butter instead of shortening).

3 comments:

Beth said...

I love the heart shapes. It looks mighty tasty. Everything you ever made me back in the day was perfection. :)

Stephanie said...

Wow! Mark would love it if I would make a homemade pie. But can you believe that crust intimidates me?

PEEPER said...

Mmmm. Peach pie. Let me know when I can come over!