Monday, March 02, 2009

Sick of sick


Right now all three kids have a cold. It started early last week and seems to be hanging on. I actually thought Violet might get out unscathed but she started coughing Friday and has gotten progressively worse. I really don't understand how we pick up so many bugs and why my kids have no immune systems. It's frustrating and makes me think there is something else I should be doing or something that I am not doing right. Anara is snotty and coughs periodically but acts relatively normal. Eddie is snotty and coughing a little and is kind of hit and miss with eating. Violet is a wreck. She has puked the last two nights and Nate and I haven't got much sleep. Today she basically coughed nonstop despite all the albuterol I was pumping into her lungs. Around 3:00pm it changed from the normal sounding hacking cough to a bark with every inhale and she wasn't able to talk. She started crying a soundless cry and I became a little alarmed. We doubled up on albuterol, went outside in the cold air, then stood in a steamy bathroom and she finally started talking and the cough stopped sounding so barky. I was having a difficult time deciding what to do and how long to wait before I took her somewhere. Her pediatrician waited in his office until I could get her in this afternoon and said he thinks it might be croup in addition to whatever else she has. This is her 3rd puking bug with fevers this year. Hopefully we will all get some rest tonight.
Today, while I was worrying about my kids colds, I kept thinking about our friends, the Smiths. Their son, Noah, is Violet's age and was diagnosed with Hodgkins recently and started chemotherapy last week. You can read more of his story here . I am sure the Smiths would appreciate your prayers for Noah's comfort and healing.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Been there, done that. I don't say that to seem trite but to give you hope. One year, when my kids were just about your age, we were in the pediatricians office every Monday from Sept.through April. I expressed the same sentiments you have. I'm a nurse...why are my kids sick so much?...am I MAKING them sick somehow?...they don't go to daycare...is there something growing in my crawlspace? I finally broke down one time with the doctor (it wasn't even our ped., it was one of his partners who I thought was a tough guy.) He assured me it was just the ages of my kids that made them prime targets for bugs and that they were BUILDING ALL KINDS of IMMUNITIES and would be much healthier for it later on in life. We all survived and I think it actually did turn out to be pretty true. Jacob still has a bit of exercised induced asthma but nothing like the KING of CROUP that he was!Another good hint for those croupy times along with the hot shower and car rides in the cold air is a sucker. Apparently the act of licking and sucking helps to relax the airway and the child. Hope you find that helpful for Vi.

Christina said...

I'm so sorry you're all sick! Get better soon!

Lydia said...

Get well soon little Hub-Cubs!