Wednesday, September 12, 2007

One long week

Sitz Bath


The cancellation of Anara's surgery has been a bit of a bummer. I didn't realize how much of a bummer until Nate went back to work Monday and life was back to normal. I wasn't looking forward to the surgery in the same way that you would look forward to a fun vacation, but it was going to be a change from the daily grind and it would finally make Anara's life a little easier (and our lives).

Anara still has the worst diaper rash I have ever seen. Her urologist stopped her daily antibiotic yesterday. Anara has to be on continuous antibiotics because she has kidney (vesicoureteral) reflux and hydronephrosis (swollen kidneys). Without antibiotics she is at risk for infection. With antibiotics she constantly battles diarrhea and diaper rash. This is the 4th antibiotic we have tried and they all have the same effect. Today is Anara's 9th day of the yeast medication (diflucan) and it is still blistering with new life. If it doesn't look better by tomorrow we will go to Riley and see the wound nurse again.

As for the surgery, we don't have a new date yet. We would really like to get something on the calendar, but I hate to keep asking the urologist - I know he hasn't forgot about us.

Violet quotes:

I said, "Vi, you need to pick up your toys before Daddy gets home." Her long reply, "Daddy will say, 'Violet did you make this mess.' and I will say, 'Yes Daddy' and he will say, 'Did you clean it up' and I will say, 'nope'".

"Dear God, please help Mommy wear a dress like a lady and look like a penguin. Help the penguins to get some snow and make a tunnel."

"Dear God, please help Anara to feel better. Please fix her bladder. Help her shoulder, help her to obey Mommy and take her medicine too."

Monday I was a little frustrated and she had been pretty whiny. I told her, "You better pray that Mommy has patience" but I was just being sarcastic. Immediately she folded her hands, bowed her head and said, "God please help Mommy not to lose her patience and help her have some patience." She went on and on and I can't remember the whole prayer but it made me laugh (and humbled me) that she took me literally.

A friend was visiting one afternoon and Violet looked at her and said, "I am going to pray that God will give you a baby in your belly."

"Is God downstairs?"

Conversation that I overheard between Violet and the mail lady: "Hi mail lady. Do you have some mail? See my jambos? "See these hearts on my jambos? Bye mail lady. Have a nice day. Are you going to go get in your white car?"

I said, "Violet, Uncle Joel might be coming over to see you today." Violet said, "Uncle Joel will say, 'Oh Wylet, you are so pretty.'"

Today she was picking dandelions and bringing them to me. I was sticking them behind my ear and she looked at me and said, "No Mama, only monkeys do that. Take those out of your ear. That's what monkeys do."

Handy Bootey

7 comments:

Carma said...

God bless you and your family for all you are doing for your girls. I can only imgaine how difficult and emotionally draining this process has been for everyone. I will continue to keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Chris and Jen said...

Oh, I am so sorry. What a drag. Probably a stupid question, but did they give Anara something topical for the rash in addition to the oral medicine? I use clotrimazole (athlete's foot cream) on Alina's bottom quite a bit because she is so prone to getting those yeast rashes.

Nathan, Amanda, Violet and Anara said...

Definitely not a stupid question. Yes, we have an array of topical mediations. We have clotrimazole, miconazole, nystatin powder, miconazole powder, desitin, Riley's butt cream, and aquaphor. We have tried everything a few times in different orders. Nothing seems to help. We blow dry her bottom between diapers and let her air dry for quite a while every change. We also do sitz baths a few times a day. I have tried cloth diapers on her only to find her even more raw and we have changed disposable brands to find out if that were the problem. We give her probiotics and she eats lots of yogurt. I am open to more suggestions if anyone has them.(Excuse the spelling and lack of caps on the drug names)

Anonymous said...

Those quotes make me want to give Vi a big hug - what a cutie! I am praying for you Amanda. Your job is not easy. Also for Anara's healing. Love you!

Joel said...

Oh man...and I never came over to tell Wyolet how pretty she was.

Danielle said...

What antibiotics has she been on?? Do they have her on septra or ditropan for her kidneys?? Hunter is on that to prevent a kidney infection since he has a horseshow kidney! Just curious. Man, I wish that there was something I could do for that little girl. I feel your pain though SISTA!!!

Hubs said...

I think we have been on everything. We have tried erythromycin, septra, cephalexin, and furadantin for antibiotics and we are currently on ditropan for the bladder issue. Right now she is not taking any antibiotics to see if her diaper rash clears. If it isn't better by tomorrow we will go see the urologist.