Monday, April 09, 2007

Just getting started

Yesterday (Monday) was a long day. We had a great morning getting here, having breakfast and meeting with a woman who debriefed us on what we'd be doing on our first day. This is the American woman who works here to help babies get adopted, and is as wonderful in person as she seemed to be through our long-distance contact with her. We only wish we could have her with us our whole time here.

After we met with her, our driver picked us up to go exchange some currency and buy a couple of cakes to take to the orphanage for the workers. We were told that was a very important custom. Feeling very excited/nervous/anxious, we finally got to the orphanage to pick up Anara. We only had about an hour before we needed to be heading to our appointment at the Embassy with the woman who is our social worker and adoption coordinator. I felt compelled to be a typical American dad and have the camcorder running as we walked in to meet Anara, and doing that I often feel like I can't really soak in the real experience. Still, it was pretty neat walking up to the room where we immediately saw Anara standing up in her crib looking at us. She looked to us just like she looked in her pictures. It was exciting and overwhelming for both of us to pick her up and hold her for the first time.

The doctor and the workers spoke to us about her through our driver/translator and it was pretty obvious that Anara was a very special baby to all of them. The doctor suggested that after our appointment at the Embassy, we bring her back to the orphanage so that Amanda and I could go back to the hotel to get some rest. We didn't really say no since she almost insisted, but when we left, our coordinator said it was okay if we didn't bring her back. So we didn't. We hope that the doctor and the rest of the workers are okay with that since we didn't give them a chance to say much of a goodbye. We are so grateful to them for taking care of her, though, and plan to send pictures and updates as she grows to assure them that she is in good hands.

It didn't take long for Anara to start to seem comfortable with us. Amanda is amazed at how quickly she laid her head on her shoulder. We were both anticipating a baby that might not want to be held, that might not look at us, might not show any emotion and definitely not smile very much. But praise God it hasn't been that way so far. When we've put her down or put her in her crib, she actually pulls herself up and gets a little upset if we don't pick her back up. She loves lying on the bed with us and just looking at us and playing with us. When we pick her up to hold her, she gets visibly excited. She doesn't mind us holding her closely or giving her kisses. I'm a bit proud to say that I was the first one to get her to laugh, and I've been pretty successful getting her to do it whenever I want. She's a very sweet baby and smiles a lot.

Here are the things we're still a bit uncomfortable with and could use prayer for, though. Anara's bladder looks okay and I think we're not too intimated caring for it, but we're not sure if we're doing everything right. She also has a bit of a cold and we hope it doesn't get worse. The appointment at the Embassy was a little uncomfortable, too, as it seems some of our paperwork didn't look completely okay to them. Finally (and I'm trying to wrap this up quick because someone is waiting for me to get off the computer), we're just not yet comfortable being in this country where so little English is spoken and where it's hard to feel welcome or acclimated to our surroundings. I'm sure it will get better with a little more time, but it sure makes us want to get back to Indiana sooner.

Okay, we'll post more later...probably won't get any pictures up for a few days, though, when we get to our friends' home. Thanks for all of the kind notes!

Big hugs and kisses to Violet for us, please!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I will give Violet lots of hugs and kisses. She is doing well and has us play the movie of mommy and daddy for her over and over. She is excited to have a new sister but I don't think she knows what is coming. She got a hat at the restaurant tonight and is saving it for baby Nawa. We are saying our prayers for daddy and mommy and baby Nawa every night. Hurry home daddy and mommy and baby tister.

Unknown said...

What an exciting day you have had and the best is yet to come. May God continue to bless your journey as you come closer to bring Anara home.

You continue to remain in our family prayers.

~The Fulton's

Joy said...

This whole experience is an answer to prayer. God is so faithful and I trust He will continue to be throughout your trip...until Anara is home...and everyday after that!

I'm looking forward to pictures of you guys with your new baby girl!

And then Vi with her new little sis!

Lydia said...

Well, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm excited to see pictures but I'll try to be as patient and understanding as I am with all parents who have new babies (which is not very!).

I'm happy to hear you didn't take her back to the orphanage. I can't imagine what it'd be like for a little one to be taken away and then brought back and then taken away again.

Much love!

Anonymous said...

I think I've read that blog like 3 times and I keep getting tears in my eyes! I imagined being there with you when you first held her! I wish I could've been! Praise God that she has fit so well in your family already! I am praying for you. Will you email me Lona's number in Almaty? Love you both!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jody- I have read the blog so many times with tears in my eyes. Congratulations, can't wait to see her. Have a safe trip back.

Jeni said...

I'm so thrilled for you.
It sounds like things are going so very well. We can't wait to meet Anara (but don't worry--we'll wait until you are all ready!)

Blessings and prayers to you!

Lori said...

I am so excited that you guys have Anara! I'll be praying for your paperwork...Amanda I want details when you get home, God bless you all and I'll be praying! In Him, Lori