Monday, November 05, 2007

Just eat already

Well, today is the day. Anara is scheduled for a PEG tube placement at 12:30. I kept telling her that she needed to eat or else and I guess now we will experience the "or else". I know that it is minimally invasive and that the surgical "insult" is very minor. However, it is one more round of anesthesiology and obviously there are always risks. Last night I couldn't sleep because I was worried that maybe it wasn't necessary, maybe I was duped into making a bad decision, and what if Anara doesn't do as well as we hope. This morning I am a little more rational and feel that it is indeed the best decision at this point and that God is still sovereign. It kind of feels like one more thing when we already have 4 tubes to contend with, but it might actually end up alleviating some of our home care burden.

Anara has been doing pretty well as far as pain. She hasn't had any morphine in several days and has been able to spread out her Valium and T3. Last night was a little rough. I think she must have been having spasms because she was really uncomfortable and kept rocking herself and crying. We gave her the Tylenol and Valium and after about 45min. she calmed down and went back to sleep. She has been pretty happy this morning even though she has been NPO (Latin for "nothing by mouth") since midnight. She woke up absolutely soaked because three tubes had been disconnected when the doctors rounded earlier (didn't quite get things put back together after their prodding) but she was still happy. I held her awkwardly while the nurse changed the bedding and she seemed to calm down after a minute or so (but her fixator was jabbing me).

I think that is everything for today. I will try and post again after surgery and maybe even put up some pictures. Thanks for your prayers.

5 comments:

Joy said...

I'll be praying as that G-tube is placed today. I have been thinking as I read your blogs, this is so overwhelming for you all...so much pain, physical and emotional. Yet what if you did not go through it? There are some pretty big life lessons and spiritual parallels there for us all. Thank you.

Brad Keating said...

Hi Amanda,
I know all too well the feeling of not being able to sleep while wrestling over a treatment decision - wondering if this is the wrong thing to do, what are the other options, etc. So I empathize with you. Not that it really matters what I would do... but I do think you guys made the right decision.

Love and prayers coming your way,
Christy

Danielle said...

Just remember, she will thank you someday!!!

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Praying everything went smoothly today. It seems you guys have had to make so many hard decisions, but the Peg tube sounded like what would make her the strongest and healthiest in the long run. You are such a great mom.

Chris and Jen said...

I deal with g-tube and feeding issues almost everyday...just with 82 y/o's instead of 2 y/o's... and I think you are making the right decision. It is amazing how people make complete turn arounds in their recovery once they are getting what they need nutritionally. And remember this is only a temporary thing. Your First Steps folks can address the feeding issues and weaning her off the tube feedings when you get home and she has healed. Hang in there!