Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Yakety-Yak

One day Violet was in the bathroom and she said, "Mama, I need some privacy please." So I walked out of the bathroom and shut the door. Nate and I were sitting at the table and we kept hearing Violet say, "Darn it, darn it, darn it" (it sounded like "down it") and I said, "Violet, don't say that word okay?" Violet replied, "Mama, but you say it all the time. You do." - touche

Today Violet was having trouble falling asleep for her nap. I told her that if she would lay down and go to sleep then when she woke up she could watch Mickey and Minnie. She took a very short nap and I brought her downstairs. We were playing and coloring when she asked to watch Mickey Mouse. I told her that she could watch it later when I was able to move Anara to the living room. She quickly replied, "Mama, you said I could watch it after I waked up - you said that Mama." Whoops - she was right, I said that.

Yesterday I was trying to do dishes and Violet kept asking me about an advent treat calendar she had received from a Grandma. I tried to explain it to her and tell her that we had to wait a few more days to start opening the windows but she persisted with her questioning (I am pretty sure that she can sense chocolate in the room). I finally gave her a dumb answer like, "Vi, we have to wait until Jesus is ready to come before we start opening the boxes." She looked at me dumbfounded and said, "But Mama, Jesus is already here." Wow! How could I argue with that? I let her open a box and eat the chocolate.

Yesterday I was trying to get lunch ready and Violet came to me and said, "Mama, Anara just said 'More cracker.'" I told Violet that Anara would have to wait until lunch (I doubt that Anara really said that anyway) and Violet replied, "Tell that to Anara."

Yesterday I took the recycling out to the porch and an old neighbor walked by. I chatted with him for a few minutes since we hadn't seen him in a while. When I came in Violet asked me who I was talking to. I told her that I was talking to Harold. A few hours later we were having lunch and listening to Christmas music. One of the songs said "herald" and Violet got excited and said, "Oh, she just said 'Harold!' Is that what you just talked to?"

Lately I have utilizing what might be a bad mom trick. I have been asking Violet to perform for people with bribes. (I must have inherited this trait because when I was little I got a Nintendo game for trying to water ski just one more time and a waterbed for no cavities when I was 10) The other day I offered her chocolate for reciting something from memory. This morning she said, "Mama, I will say Luke 2 if you give me 2 chocolate chips." Whoops!

"Mama, Anara wants some water down her tube."

We have been Mr. Rogers fans for a while now - it was one of the first shows that we ever let Violet watch. About a month ago, Mr. Rogers put on a mask in one of the episodes. Violet started shaking and wanted us to shut it off immediately. I shut it off and deleted that episode and tried to explain that she never had to watch it again, but Violet hasn't watched him in weeks. Last night I wanted to buy some time with the TV and turned on Mr. Rogers. I explained that he wasn't going to put the mask on again. A few minutes into the show I heard Violet standing over Anara saying this, "Anara, do you like Mr. Rogers? Mr. Rogers is nice. He likes you Anara. He isn't going to put a mask on anymore. He loves you." I thought it was cute and appropriately therapeutic for Violet to reassure herself by encouraging Anara.

8 comments:

TPQ said...

Violet is so funny. I wish I could just keep her for a week and listen to all that comes out of her mouth. She must be a good laugh throughout the day when things are crazy.

Beth said...

One time Carter was watching Spongebob and a scary monkey came on the show. Carter also didn't want to watch the show again for a couple weeks. He would even talk about it at bedtime. Violet says the cutest things.

Danielle said...

She is a greatly entertaining girl!! I need to start remembering or writting things down when Hunter says silly stuff!! Kids say the darndest things!!

Beth said...

Oh, I forgot to mention to you... After all that hard work of finding those echo mics for my boys, Carter immediately used them as drum sticks (like everything else) and was beating them on the floor like it was a drum, and Jordan likes to use his like a baseball bat. I guess that's the difference between boys and girls. Be glad you have fun frilly girls. LOL.....

Laura S Scott said...

The Parent's magazine has a section about the funny things that kids say. It's so much more fun to read about it when you know the child. What a cute personality she has developed.

Mom to 2 Angels said...

She says the cutest things...and so smart!

House of Blog said...

It's definitely tough when you're 2 1/2 year old daughter is smarter than you Amanda. I would suggest not bending the truth or trying to put one over on her anymore.

Pam Markley said...

You should write a book entitled Violet-isms. She says the funniest things! Makes me laugh reading about it!