Saturday, April 25, 2009

I know it's shingles cause it tingles

It's been yet another exciting week in health news. We went to Evansville this weekend and stayed in a hotel. I found some red welts Monday and assumed I got bit by something. They have been driving me crazy all week. I can't sleep at night and I am pretty sore during the day. Today I finally gave in and went to the MD since the "bites" were getting worse. Turns out it's shingles - gross. Apparently there is nothing I can do but take stuff for pain and let it run it's course. I guess two nights spent not sleeping was a little taxing on my immune system (not to mention the coldsore on my lip and fighting whatever bug the kids have). The MD said to get some sleep - ha! The shingles won't let me, which is why I am posting at 1:13am.

Violet had a fever Sat. night and Sunday night she felt even warmer. She seemed okay during the day so I thought that might be it. Tuesday all 3 kids had fevers and were snotty. We had one bad night of coughing and it seems like everyone is on the mend. Cold season had to thumb it's nose at us one last time. Eddie was a little warm tonight and didn't eat well during a couple feedings today. I am hoping it's just the cold and not the beginning of chicken pox from my shingles.

And, unfortunately we have a urology update. Anara's last urine culture came back positive with a pretty high number of Proteus. Proteus is the stone former that caused the last two surgeries. We have been irrigating her with a treatment dose of gentamicin three times a day but it's not made a dent in the bacteria (the culture said it was sensitive to it). She had a CT today to check for stones or fragments in her kidneys and bladder. The MD called this afternoon and said it was clean - phew. She is taking a 10 day course of oral antibiotics and we are hoping this finally kills it. We would really like to avoid another procedure.

No comments: