Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bird Nird

I have been watching our feathered friends at the feeder lately and have taken a few pictures. All the pictures were taken through our bedroom window because all the birds clear out as soon as I open the back door. I am not ready to list "Bird Watching" under my hobbies and interests but that might just be because I am in denial. I am currently trying to find a less expensive way to feed our birds (maybe bulk seed or something). They seem to have quite the appetite and birdseed isn't just tuppence a bag. Here are some birds that have been spotted in our yard in the past week. I need some help identifying most of them... Grandpa H.?? Some of these are probably obvious but I am brand new to the bird scene. A month ago I could only identify a robin, blue jay, cardinal or pigeon.

In other bird news... Grandpa P. will be disappointed to hear that we still have no hummingbird sitings.

Mourning Dove - Nate's favorite because of their song

?? Grackle?

Sparrow?
Finch or Sparrow?


Goldfinch
Looks kinda ducky, walks like a duck but not a duck

Female cardinal
Male cardinal

Downy Woodpecker

2 comments:

Beth said...

Wow, I can't believe all those birds have been in your back yard. Great pictures!! If Danielle would show this to her mom, I am sure she would know the names of those birds.

Kerry said...

The brown-headed birds are not grackles but brown-headed cowbirds.
The reddish headed/breasted birds are house finches. Couldn't find the one that looks like a duck in my bird book.