Friday, February 15, 2008

Baby M.

I call her Baby M. because she does not have a first name and her last name begins with "M". This little baby has been quite a challenge for us. Knowledge of him/her (sex is uncertain without blood test) has taken us through some heavy periods of self-examination. We have prayed and prayed seeking God on what role we should play in this child's life. We have sought Godly counsel and talked in endless circles. We have been up and down and back and forth.

Earlier this week the baby was placed on a special needs website. We were encouraged by this and reminded that we are not the only ones who care about this little one. We continued to pray for God's will and seek information. I met with Anara's MD earlier this week and discussed what the treatment plan and future might look like. He was very honest with me about her condition, the number of surgeries, and the long-term care plan. He was quite amazing in his advice; although he was honest about her fragility, he was never discouraging and never took away hope.

Today I received an email that the baby has continued to lose weight. She now weighs only 3.8lbs. Her little photo looked nothing like the pictures we had previously received. Her first pictures were peaceful and her face full. Today's photo looked like skin had been stretched over a tiny skeleton. It is doubtful that she will recover. It is unlikely with her bowel outside her body, that she will be able to absorb the nutrition necessary to sustain her.

I am not writing this as one without hope. I am very hopeful. I know that God can heal her small body. I know that she could begin to recover and amaze everyone who has heard about her. I also know that she could be blessed to return to her Heavenly Father. I am writing this in an effort to continue processing this event in our lives, in an attempt to elicit prayer for this baby and babies everywhere without families or medical care, and to encourage everyone to find a way to help the "least of these".

Today my mom introduced me to William. William's family is trying to raise money to bring him home. I do not know these people personally and have no more information about them than what is presented on their blog. If you are interested in finding out about William, I invite you to take a look at their blog. William is an example of a baby and family with a need. http://specialneedsbaby.blogspot.com/

In the meantime, please pray for Baby M. Pray that she will not suffer, that she will experience peace, that her birthparents would experience peace and know Christ, and that the people who know her will be blessed by her life.

1 comment:

Christina said...

What a beautiful entry, Amanda. And, challenging to all of us to be praying for her and the thousands of other children like her who need loving homes. I think that you and Nate are wonderful examples of the mandate we have received to care for those less fortunate. Thank you for reminding me.
Also, to everyone reading this, wish Amanda a happy birthday tomorrow :)