Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Constantly Composing

I am plagued by an inner monologue of constant correspondence. When I was younger I spent alone time pretending to be doing television shows and giving instructions to large groups. I taught people to put on make-up, shave their legs, make toast, etc. Whatever I was doing became an instructional session. Today my thoughts are writing letters, emails, and blogs. Yesterday, in the shower, I wrote a letter to a high school friend, and today while I was sweeping our bedroom, I wrote a letter to Anara's birthmom. I have written numerous letters to our local grocery store, the city on behalf of our neighborhood, my daughters, the local library, my husband, parents, grandparents, friends, strangers, agencies, foreign countries, thank-you's to police officers, ..... The tragedy is that I never actually write anything. I have all these grand ideas and great words that never see paper or computer. I wonder how much impact some of these could have - maybe not as much as I imagine. I could never actually send as many emails/letters as are in my brain, but I certainly could send a few.

Lots of things keep me from writing these letters: time, energy, the fact that it never sounds as good on paper as it did in my head, and worrying about people's responses. Worrying over responses and how I will be interpreted is definitely prohibiting my letter writing. For example, would the cashier at the grocery store, whose line I always try to go to, think I was a freak for writing her a note? Would the company really make any changes to the store if I reported on good/bad things I observe? Would my high school friend forgive the fact that I never took the time to be a good friend and call regularly? I am not sure why these letters are in my head (some days my head fills with post ideas for the blog that never ever appear), and I am not sure what I should do with them. Maybe I don't need to do anything with them and this is how my brain processes, but where did the random high school friend come from? I think some should definitely be written and I am constantly making a goal for myself of letter writing - the real kind with postage.

The letter that I am most often writing and rewriting is a letter to Anara's birthmom. I write and write and write. I tell her all about Anara: how she is growing, what she likes to do, how well she speaks, how funny she is, the way she smiles, how she loves Violet, that she is better now, and that her mom made the right decision for her daughter. I know that if Anara had been born "perfect" she wouldn't be part of our family (we weren't the next family in line for a beautiful baby girl)? Would her mom have parented her or would she still not have had the resources available to keep her healthy and alive? In Anara's case she probably felt she didn't have a choice. Anara's birth defect was significant and there wasn't really a doctor or hospital specialized enough to care for her properly. It is incredible that Anara lived at all. Her urologist said that Anara must have the right "protoplasm". I would like to tell Anara's birthmom how clever she is and also of her stubbornness. It is probably her stubbornness and determination that kept her living (at least that is what I tell myself when I am frustrated).

We have a document that gives a name for the birthmother and birthfather. I have no idea whether it is correct, but at least they are names. Maybe someday Anara will be able to locate her birthparents with these names. Sometimes I wonder if I should try to do this for her, but then I think maybe it should be Anara's decision. I am not really sure how I feel. I think that if I were the birthmom I would love to know that my child was well and loved, but I don't know her circumstances and would not want to compromise the life she is living or cause pain. I think that someday I will write this letter - even if just to hold on to it.

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

I think you should get an assitant who you could just dictate all of your thoughts to and they could write them down while you vacuum etc. It would save some time!
I always wonder what it will be like when my kids become curious about their birthmothers...

Sara said...

As an adopted child myself, I can tell you your adopted child will wonder. I think open adoption is a great thing. No one could ever replace my (adoptive) parents, but it would be nice to know the circumstances of my birthparents when they gave me up and I am curious to know who I look like. I would also like to thank my birthmother and tell her that the brave and unselfish decision she made made me who I am today. I bet Anara will be glad that you have those names someday.

And isn't it a shame that no one writes real letters anymore? What about thank you notes? I make my kids write thank you notes and I HOPE it will become a habit and will stick with them forever.

Lisa Brotherton said...

Amanda,
First, it is reassuring to her someone else has an ongoing dialog with the world just like me!
Second, what an amazing gift it would be for Anara to one day have the letters and thought you had written down! It would give her a different perspective of your connection with this unknown woman that provided such a love for your family. One day, Anara might deliver those letters herself?
Just a thought.
Lisa B

TPQ said...

Amanda, you truely are amazing. I don't think the clerk at the store would think you a freak. It would probably make her day. I bet she doesn't think she's impacting anyone being a store cashier. I adore random acts of kindness, and also wish I had the guts to go through with all those in my mind.

Not knowing where you come from truely does suck sometimes. I wish I at least know what my birth father looked like. I can imagine this is true for most people who don't know one or both of their bio parents. I look exactly like my mother so it's not as if I can imagine I have his nose or something. It's hard. I think Anara would appreciate the letters to her birthmom if you held them and let her decide if she should have them when she's older.

CBun said...

I know exactly how you feel about the letters. I do something very similar. However, email has made it easier for me to write my letters (I know my congressman probably has my picture on a dart board somewhere).But I still slack when it comes to writing a lot of the things I want to write.

About birth mothers, my mom and I were talking the other day about the boys and how different they process life events. Edgar (will be 8 in May) asks a lot of questions about Guatemala and likes to look at pictures of his foster family there. We have one picture of his birth mother, it came in the paperwork. He hasn't seen that yet. For awhile he had created in his head that he had a fan club waiting for his return in Guatemala. That has since passed.

Sergio (just turned 9 in December) is very quiet and thinks before he speaks. Every year at school he manages to work Guatemala into a school project. He doesn't ask a lot of questions, but we are sure they will come one day.