Wednesday, October 17, 2007

13 hours and counting.....

Sisterly Affection

They picked out these bibs and put them on

Anara playing Elmo on the computer

Tomorrow morning we check in to the hospital for Anara's surgery preparations. Her surgery is scheduled for Friday but we aren't sure yet of the time. So far she looks great - no temperature and no diaper rash. Thank you for your prayers.

Just a recap for the new people: Anara was born with her bladder outside her body. Friday a team of 2 urologists and 1 orthopedic surgeon will correct her condition in an 8 - 12 hour surgery. Her hips will be cut to bring her pubic bone together in the front and this will help hold in the newly formed bladder. A bladder will be made (or her existing bladder supplemented) from a part of her small intestine. A cosmetic belly button will be created. More than likely a port will be put in her abdomen that will allow her to be catheterized. Anara will recover for approx. 3 weeks in the hospital and come home in some hardware to keep the bones in the right place (external fixator). This is just a brief overview of what we think will happen. Anara's urologist said that it is difficult to tell what the exact procedure will be until she is in surgery.

The last time we were preparing for this surgery I was distracted by the diaper rash and didn't focus as much on the actual procedure or hospital time. Maybe I knew it wasn't really going to happen. This time I am feeling the reality of the situation. Thankfully I am able to reframe my thinking into prayers and trusting in God. It is reassuring to know that God loves Anara more than we do and He has a perfect plan for her. Join us in prayer that God will be with Anara, be with the physicians, heal her precious little body, and give us all peace during this time. I have also been thinking about Anara's birth mother. We know very little about her, but I wish that I could tell her that Anara is getting help and will be okay. I wonder if she ever thinks about her - I am sure that she does.

We are very thankful for the support, prayers, and encouragement of our family and friends. This adoption experience has been a wonderful manifestation of God's ability to move His people. We are grateful that we get to experience this life surrounded by wonderful people. May we all become more like His Son.

7 comments:

Christina said...

You are already in my prayers. I will see you tomorrow. I know that the Lord has a special plan for precious Anara and He will hold her in His hands. He is, after all, the Great Physician.

Mom to 2 Angels said...

We will be keeping Anara in our prayers.

Hilary Marquis said...

We will ask God to give you an extra measure of peace and comfort and to guide the surgeon's hands, as well as Anara's quick healing. The Lord has already brought Anara so far, He will see this to completion. Hang in there!

Alyssa said...

Thanks for the update we will pray! I will be thinking of you especially as the recovery sounds hard. It is so amazing that not a year ago she had no family and now she has you and you are going to great lengths to help heal her little body. I love the way God creates our families!

Chris and Jen said...

The Reuters will be praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone~

Amanda has asked me to post updates during the prep and surgery so that we can all be in prayer for little Anara. She just called me (10AM Indiana time) and said that they have been waiting in admissions for a couple hours. They hope to get a room soon. Here is what we really need to be in prayer about - Anara has the beginnings of a diaper rash. Amanda said she changed her diaper and saw about 5 spots. Please pray for God's will in this situation and for Nate and Amanda to trust Him no matter what. Thank you and I will update you when Amanda calls me again.

Danielle said...

I am here if you need anything...just to talk or ask questions...Hunter and I will be praying for her. Just trust in God and take a deep breath. We love you guys...Danielle and Hunter