Friday, October 26, 2007

8 days and counting.....

Last night was better than yesterday afternoon but Anara was still pretty grouchy. I am still not convinced it is all related to pain. It's like whenever she wakes up she realizes that her life is still in this hospital room and she just gets angry. Any stranger or white coat walking into the room prompts immediate crying, and she doesn't want me to console her anymore. In fact, when I get close to her to stroke her hair or sing to her she screams at me and covers her face. Maybe it's time to switch and let someone else have a turn. She is probably thinking this is all my fault.

This morning they removed her JP tube that was draining the surgery site - only four more drains to go. She didn't go crazy on clear liquids yesterday. I got her to eat about 1/2 a popsicle and a little water. We are starting formula today and praying that it doesn't upset her stomach.

Today is Christina's birthday. Violet and Anara call her "Nina". This afternoon she is leaving for Afghanistan for one month. You can read about her travels on the link from our blog. Happy birthday Nina!

Violet has been saying lots of funny things since everything started. I know that I am not going to be able to remember them all, but I will try to remember to post little things as she says them. The other day I told her that she would have to take the ICU bracelet off eventually and she said, "No. I was like, no" in a Valley girl sounding voice. She has also been calling people "little widgeons" except for my dad - she called him a big widgeon. We have no idea what she means or where this came from.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

She doesn't think that this is your fault at all. Hunter was like that for about the first 9 surgeries! She is just trying to comfort herself. It's not that she doesn't need you cuz she does, she is just scared. It is called "white coat syndrome". Hunter had it in the worst way, but he is good now. She will also be fine. He was so bad that when we would even pull into the parking lot at the hospital, he would start bawling! She is will be fine. Just reassure her that are there and that you love her. That is all she really wants!

Dave Price said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave Price said...

Glad to either sit with one of you or give you some time off if you need the help. I can take the night shift if you need me to as well. Just let me know.

Dave

Christina said...

Hey guys! I hope you are having a good weekend. I've arrived here safely - see blog for further details. I really do miss you all and pray that Anara's healing is continuing to go well. Amanda - make sure you're spending time with Nate! Give Anara and Violet my love. Especially, give Violet a kiss just from me :) Love you all!

Anonymous said...

Hey all~

More updates! More updates!
I hope you're doing well.

Grandad said...

Sis, I was calling the Vi 'smidgeon' wonder if its a derivative?

Sounds like things are going, if not well, then at least going. One day at a time, no substitute for time for healing and for all the prayers you're receiving. ... Dad