Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Lessons I am learning

*It doesn't matter if you find 3 toy phones if none of them is the Nemo one you are looking for.

*It is impossible to sneak food with a 2 y/o - they can detect treats up to 1/2 hour after the last bite is swallowed. "What's that in your mouth Mama? Is that chocolate? Can I smell your breath?"

*You can never have too many blogs to read.

*If you are going to broom while your kids are awake, you better protect your dirtpile.

*Toddlers never tire of macaroni and cheese.

*It isn't a good idea to walk away from a dishwasher half unloaded - your kids might find things to play with.

*Caillou really is a bad boy.

*If you worship sleep, it will most definitely elude you.

*Our kids have better senses of humor than their parents.

*You can reheat the same cup of coffee 4 times but it might not taste good.

*Babies will never soil an old, soaked diaper - you must put the brand new one on.

*1 yr. molars and 2 yr. molars are named for the amount of time it takes the tooth to surface fully through the gums.

*Nothing strikes fear into the heart of a mother (of a toddler) like the phrase, "Oh no, I have to go potty" when you are at the back of the grocery with a full cart of items.

*If you let your 2 y/o carry the grocery sack with the eggs she might break them, but if you try to juggle the 2 y/o and the sack with the eggs you will definitely break them.

*Sometimes a box of Teddy Grahams isn't worth a grocery store brawl (and sometimes it is).

*Songs sound better when kids don't sing the right words "Uppa Uppa word so high, like a diamond in the sky".

*Sometimes spying on blogs passes for contact with the outside world (and other times it takes a trip to the grocery).

*A toy is only interesting if another child is holding it.

*6:30am feels earlier on a Saturday.

*It is possible to be too preoccupied to remember to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom.

*There are two phrases that don't register in the minds of toddlers, "Mama's making supper" and "Mama's on the phone."

*Farts are funny no matter how old you are.

*God heals owies faster if you use Band-Aids. They also take the pain away immediately.

*Some people play the cloud game and others identify shapes in their turds, but it is equally creative. (One day Violet called me into the bathroom, "Mama, my poop looks like Christmas candy" - she was right, it was shaped just like a candy cane).

*Man do kids need naps - they become different people when sleep deprived. (Sometimes moms need naps too.)

*A 1 y/o can be stubborn enough to hold peas in their mouth for over an hour.

*After all this excitement, life without kids might seem dull.

*Sometimes you have to sacrifice housework for blogging.

9 comments:

Beth said...

I always look forward to reading your blogs. It's always comforting to see another mother dealing with the same issues day to day. Thanks for sharing. You should write a book (in all that great spare time you have).

Anonymous said...

Amanda, these are hilarious! I'm sure someday I'll relate more, but for now I'm getting a good chuckle. ;)

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading your blogs. This one had me actually laughing out loud.

Chris and Jen said...

I have often wondered the same thing. What IS the fascination with spying on other people's blogs? I have been a little disturbed with myself lately spending way too much time reading about a friend of a friend of a friend's (ok, a total stranger) new pet, upcoming family reunion, etc. Also, I get irritated when blogs I frequent haven't posted anything new in awhile. Am I totally pathetic or what. Don't answer that.

PEEPER said...

How true are all those statements!! I was cracking up. If you just came up with those on your own, you should keep up the list and then make a small "chicken soup for the moms of toddlers" book!!! The one about not pooping until a fresh diaper is on is SOOOOOO true!!!

Hubs said...

I did make them up which is why some of them might only make sense to us, but it's nice to know that most people get them. Maybe everyone should start adding their own to my list.

Anonymous said...

I loved the list! Thanks for sharing, and know that I think of you guys often.

peace...

Jeni said...

Oh my gosh--Alex was the king of food holding. It was meat, though, and gross.

You should ask Sarah sometime about Ella's food holding habit...disgusting. At least you know Anara's not the only one who does it! :)

Jenni said...

Those absolutely cracked me up!! I laughed all the way through and repeated many of them to Brendan.