Sunday, October 28, 2007

A couple more days???

Anara is doing well. She is off the PCA and is only getting Valium and Tylenol with codeine. It seems like the major source of discomfort is gas pains. She has been passing gas frequently and has had a few small bowel movements. She is drinking Pediasure to compensate for calories and can have a normal diet. Yesterday we jumped the gun and overfed her and she vomited. Today we have been taking things a little more slowly and she is tolerating well. The urology resident rounding this morning said that we will learn home care tomorrow. Does this mean we are going home? It might. Our MD returns from a trip on Tuesday and I am betting we are in the hospital until he gets to check her out. Anara will come home with 4 drains (Monti, Super Pubic Tube, 2 ureteral stints) and the external fixator of course. Caring for her at home might be interesting but I think she will be more happy in normal surroundings (hopefully not more frustrated).

Today I made the mistake of saying, "Anara, do you want to go home soon?" She immediately started nodding furiously, said yes, and smiled. When she realized that I didn't mean we were going home right then she started crying, and I felt terrible.

The orthopedic surgeon said that we can start holding her. Today when I left the hospital we still hadn't tried. It is very intimidating to try and pick her up and hold her absolutely flat knowing that she is still pretty ouchy and uncomfortable.

On a lighter note, Violet finally learned to pedal her tricycle today. She still goes forward two steps and one step back but it is fun to see her try. She is pretty pleased with herself. By the way, she is still using the term "Little widgeon". "Why don't you come out here and play with me you little widgeon."

6 comments:

Chris and Jen said...

Violet's new lingo is hilarious. I wonder if she picked up 'widgeon' from a movie. When Meagan was 2 or 3 she would go around speaking in movie lines and we had no idea what she was talking about for the longest time. By the way, I also liked the one about not being about to get down from the table until after her surgery!

Grandad said...

Holy smokes, that's incredible. I can't imagine dealing with home care, but as long as they they teach you I'm sure you kids will deal with it. Wish I could get back down, but have to work this week and Angie has a family thing going on next weekend and will be gone. May shoot for a day trip next weekend. Glad its going so well, I'd have never have thought they'd be considering sending her home already.

PEEPER said...

Wow! That would be wonderful if she came home soon! Weren't you expecting more like a 4 week stay? I love the word widgeon!! Addison has been making up words too, but nothing that fun! Maybe its her own special term of endearment? too funny!

Christina said...

I am so glad things are going well! I'm sure that the thought of care at home is very overwhelming, but I think you've already done a tremendous job in the hospital! You have more knowledge and ability than you think.
I miss you all terribly. Please give Violet my love and tell her that this little widgeon misses her!

Brad Keating said...

I hope Anara doesn't think that "going home" means she will get to walk around and do normal "home" things. It might be a shock for her to realize that she is still going to have to lay on her back immobile even at home. I'm sure it's so hard that she is too young for you to really explain things to her in a way she can understand. But still, probably being in her own bed at home is better than the yucky hospital with all the doctors and beeping monitors.

Jeni said...

Thanks for the update.

Violet cracks me up, cute little widgeon.