Monday, October 22, 2007

Erector Set

That is exactly what it looks like. It's called an external fixator and they like to say ex. fix. or construct. Construct reminds me of these toys that my brothers used to play with "Construx" or something like that.

She won't be able to move with this construct on. As far as I understand she gets to lie flat on her back for 6 weeks. This morning I pushed the pressure sore issue. I guess kids are not as susceptible to them but when we picked her up her back was red. Now we are putting a blanket under one side for two hours and then switching. It is a very small move or transition, but hopefully enough to prevent yucky bed sores.

For the catheter curious, here is what I think will happen. Right now Anara has 4 tubes draining her reservoir (bladder). One of those tubes (Monti for the medical friends) is through her appendix which is now serving as a port from the reservoir through her abdominal wall. After the sutures are healed and things are okay we will start catheterizing Anara through the appendix (wonder what the exact medical term is?). In the meantime, she is a fascinating bundle of wires, tubes, beeps, metal and gauze.

Okay, time to go learn pin-cleaning.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a good student and advocate. And thanks to Andrew for the computer loan, even though I am right her(at home with Wiolet) I watch for your next post.
Beat you Jody that's what happens when you live on the West Coast. We are up and watching for blog posts while you are still sleeping.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you beat me this time Janet.
Thanks for the updates Amanda and Nate. Keep em coming. Call me if you get lonely at the hospital. Love you all.

Danielle said...

Mandy I am telling you that will much more simple to cath her than the old fashioned way like I do Hunter. It will be a lot less painful for her. If you have any questions or need help with anything email me and I will give you my phone number.

Jeni said...

We're thinking of you often!!

Mike and Lisa Bowling said...

When Josh was seven, he was in traction and had just two pins to clean. It was hard, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you how important it is. Hang in there, we're all praying for you

Brad Keating said...

Thanks, Amanda, for responding so quickly to my questions. :) I can't imagine the next 6 weeks for you. I'm sure Anara is going to get very sick of laying on her back all the time. I will keep on praying for her and you. Don't know if Karis' surgery will happen or not, since she definitely has a cold (and I do too).

Christy

PEEPER said...

What a trooper that little Anara is!! I'm so happy that things sound like they are going well and pray they stay that way. The docs at Riley are amazing to be able to do this for her!